Thursday, July 8, 2010

Unexpected Delays

So the 4th of July weekend we were determined to get lots of work done on the house so we could get it ready to move into. We woke up early on the 3rd and went to some paint place and bought 5 gallons of white paint and brushes and rollers and anything you could want to paint a room. We were so motivated. We get to the house and decide to start on Tristan's room (the unborn child). So we get there, put the tarp down, take off the outlet covers and tape the outlets. We were doing so good. Until I opened my mouth. You see, the house has electric baseboard heaters. We are currently installing an HVAC unit with all of the ductwork so we can be rid of the baseboard heaters so I told my husband to take off the baseboard now, before we paint, so we can make it look good and not have to come back and do it later. Some times I think I should have kept my mouth shut...

Underneath the heater was this weird canvas wallpaper that was put on top of this weird cardboard. Not drywall, but a type of thick cardboard. The canvas was not attached to the wall anymore under the heater and so I told Chris to rip it off. But because of the MANY layers of paint that have been applied over the years, we would need to sand the paint that framed the baseboard heater spot. I didn't get a picture. I also asked Chris to see if the canvas went up the whole way and covered the whole wall or if it had been cut previously and left there because the heater was in the way. This is the result.



Chris and cousin Laura started pulling and ripping away. It came off very easy.


And they kept ripping...


Yep, it did go up the whole way to the ceiling.


And covered the entire wall.


So what was supposed to be a simple painting project turned into hours of work because there was paneling on the wall to the left and Chris wanted it gone. We ripped that down and now have a room that has no canvas, no paint, and no paneling. Thankfully we did this on the smallest room in the house first so we can find out how hard it is going to be! But now I begin to think that I am going to go into labor and have this baby before we can even move into the house... I think I might cry. But in the long run we will be happier with fixing the head ache we have now. I still want to cry though.

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, Sarah, that sucks! I understand wanting to cry! Maybe you'll be surprised and the other rooms won't be like that! ;) Or maybe it will go really quickly and be really easy. :) Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete